Traditional hymns and religious songs such as On Eagles Wings, Pie Jesu and Amazing Grace are starting to take a back seat in the modern day funeral. Beautiful as they are, a majority of the time they simply do not reflect the life or personality of the deceased. With the modern funerals becoming very much about personal choice, being reflected in the dress, coffin, flowers, hearses and memorials, the choice of music now takes a vital role in achieving this.
However before deciding that you want Thin Lizzy to ring across the speakers in your local church as you are being carried out, you should be respectful of that church and seek permission first. While new directives have been issued not to play songs 'void of christian content' you will find that your local priest will be more acceptable to your song choice should you discuss with him first.
On saying that we have decided to compile the top 10 must powerful funeral songs - we hope you like / agree or if we have left your personal favourite out be sure to let us know. We have done our best to include the video were possible, so, grab a cuppa - have a listen and enjoy!
10. Time to Say Goodbye (Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bochelli)
9. Fields of Gold (Eva Cassidy)
8. The Parting Glass (Traditional - version here by Glen Hansard )
7. You'll Never Walk Alone (Gerry and the Pacemakers - Popular with fans of Liverpool and Celtic)
6. My Way (Frank Sinatra )
5. On Eagles Wings (Traditional Hymn)
4. Angels (Robbie Williams)
3. Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol)
2. The Old Man ( The Fureys )
1. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (Eric Idle )
Be sure to let us know if you we have left a few songs out or if you happen to disagree with out selection. We could certainly expand this list to the Top 20!